Thursday, January 13, 2011

Quick Blog #3: Experiencing Class & Classism

1.  I'm not sure if I can think of a specific experience where I was privileged or had an advantage due to my socio-economic status, but I guess you could consider the fact that I was able to go to a great public elementary school, I was able to play all the sports I wanted to and travel with the teams, I was able to go to a high school out of town because we did not have one, I was able to go to the University of New Hampshire using financial aid and loans, and maybe so on, as a privilege. As a child I was allowed to go to the movies, was granted with birthday parties, Christmas presents, and vacations. My parents could be considered that of the middle class, and even though I got all of these things, it doesn't mean my parents didn't struggle financially at times, or that I myself didn't appreciate what I got because by all means I felt so thankful, but they worked very hard to give my brothers and I everything they could and I think that's a perfect example of how your socio-economic status may have a large impact on your lifestyle and well-being.

2.  When applying to colleges I knew that my parents were not going to be able to help because of financial issues and that I would need help from financial aid and loans to help pay for it.  I also knew that all the colleges I applied to had to be below a certain tuition level and most of them had to be in-state (New Hampshire) schools because I was going to be paying for it on my own.

3.  In high school there were many trends that considered you to be "popular". Most of those included having North Face backpacks or other products, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, and so on clothes, Ugg boots, Ipods, etc... If you didn't have most of those things you were looked at differently and may not have been considered popular because you didn't have those types of expensive things. I at times was able to afford those things but never participated with others that discriminated or excluded those who didn't have those things and tried to help stop that discrimination from happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment