Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blog Post #7 Question G Response


The data provided in Gregory Mantsios’ article on “Class in America – 2006” does make it very difficult to call the United States a classless society.  On the other hand, he provided the idea that reality shows and celebrity salaries do suggest that the level of inequality in the U.S. is getting higher, and I couldn’t agree more with that statement.  For example, reality stars such as “the situation” and “snooki” were once considered of the middle class.  Then they go on the reality television show “Jersey Shore” and now they are instant celebrities making large salaries, placing them in the higher class. 
                Gregory uses “Reality” statements to support his arguments of how America is divided into classes.  I find almost all of them convincing to support his arguments.  For example, Reality 3 states that there are enormous differences between those that have, have little, and have nothing.  The class you reside in does impact the lifestyle you live and in turn affects your well-being.  Another statement I see to be true is that of Reality 5, which states class standing impacts chances for educational achievement.  If you are a child in a higher class family, you’re most likely going to be able to go to whatever college you please because your parents will be able to pay for it.  However, someone in a lower class may not be able to go to college because they have no means for paying for it, and will result with a low paying job due to having barely any education.
                I myself grew up in a low income family household.  My parents worked hard every day to make sure that my brothers and I had the best things in life.  I’m not saying that those who are considered in the higher class didn’t work to get where they are, but they are definitely on a different level than that of my family.  Due to my parents’ low income, I’ve had to file for many loans and will have to pay for them on my own.  I don’t think stating America as a “class” society is a bad thing, but there is plenty of evidence that shows this is happening. 

6 comments:

  1. This is another point that shows how messed up colleges are. Shouldn't we try to advance our society by enhancing the hardest-working, most intellegent individuals instead of the ones with the most money?
    It is interesting to me how Jersey Shore stars are still portrayed in the show as living with their parents. I'm pretty sure they can afford their own place with their multi-billion dollar paychecks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's required that we respond to the comments made on our own blogs but I couldn't help but laugh out loud to your comment about them living with their parents when they can on their own. I didn't even think of that haha. That just makes them look even more pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that colleges are doing an absolutely BRILLIANT job of marketing their social activities and their relationship to the class structure. But the reality of it is, it doesn't matter where you went to college once you get out. I manage a team of 12 technology professional and I don't think I ever looked at where they went to school. I actually don't even care if they went, but it is always listed on their resume. All a degree says to employers is that you can be taught but Universities nation wide have convinced all of us that if we attend their school we'll make all the right connections and have access to more opportunity.

    Do you know how many times I've said "I went to UNH" and they asked where that was...and they don't mean what town!

    Last, somewhat caddy remark...Snooki can have as much money as Oprah and still lack class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have realized as I have been applying to jobs that employers don't really acknowledge where you got your degree, just simply that you earned it. However, it today's society it is becoming harder and harder to afford (money-wise) that needed degree, which I feel is unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleges definitely uses Marketing as a tool to tell students that we are the best institute to choose from. Education is now more of a business. Pay for what you want to get. If want a degree with the name of a prestigious institute on it pay more.

    This marketing strategy lowers the chances of lower class society who have no means to pay fee and maximize their chances to live their life with heavy loans. So this cycle continues and most end up with low paying jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you made a lot of great points. I also think that it is difficult to move out of classes.. in fact I think it is unfortunately a cycle in some circumstances. A child of a poor, lower class single mother may not be able to afford college and may end up in the same class and situation as his or her mother as well as the generations to come because it is so difficult to advance without any means.

    ReplyDelete