Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog Post #14 Question N Response

To be considered an activist I feel you need to have a good liberalized background.  After reading some of the articles it seems to have a good liberalized outlook, you need to be someone that treats everyone as a valued whole person, not as someone to be used or controlled.  You need to maintain civility in your relationships and be accountable for your behavior as well as your individual actions.  You also need to see cultural differences as life-enchancing, and as expanding possibilities.  Some strong strengths associated with an effective and positive change agent would be someone who can see the good in everything and hope that change will bring all good.  They look at change as being a step forward to something greater for everyone involved.  Barbara Love spoke in her article about developing a liberatory consciousness.  This I feel by far is the first step to help creating a better community.  She explains that as an effective liberation worker, you need to be committed to changing systems and institutions characterized by oppression to create greater equity and social justice.  I couldn't agree with her more.  I guess that activists that I would admire the most would be those involved with classism.  I feel this is one of the most forgotten "isms" in America today and with the direction the economy is moving in, it seems that those experiencing oppression involving their class could really use some help from strong activists.  Those helping to make their lives better are people that I truly admire.  Lastly, I also admire all activists for other areas experiencing discrimination and oppression as well, not just this one.  

2 comments:

  1. I hope that in the near future, we could help each other and forget our differences of class, so we can pull ourselves out of this bad economy. We all have the power to change the world, sorry I'm too inspired haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think classism is a forgotten "ism" but I think it is very potent in society, as we are headed toward an empire, which is relying on the huge middle class and lower class. Activism can sometimes be the reason to keep going, in many areas of the world people are fighting everyday for water, because it is fight or die. Activism is the fight, and the fight becomes life.

    ReplyDelete