Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blog Post #13 Question M Repsonse

After reading some of these articles and watching the videos, I guess I would say ageism comes from the main root of this perfect employee figure that the American society has created.  This person should be around the ages of 25-55, be able to work long hours, Monday through Friday with some overtime, not call out too much, experienced and intelligent, and etc... I personally do not feel that you have to fall under these circumstances to be considered an employee for any job.  Yes I do believe that children should not start working until the age of may fourteen, but that is because of liability issues.  Growing up my parents taught me what it was like to earn your own money.  I was given little jobs such as babysitting, cleaning, mowing the lawn, and etc.  When my parents thought I completed my job to their expectations I was rewarded with a little bit of money.  I think this taught me what it was like to earn a dollar by using my knowledge and hard work.  Eventually I got my first job at the age of seventeen and was able to use what I learned to prepare myself for that.  On the other end of the age spectrum I think that elderly people should be able to work.  I don't think it's fair to use such excuses as, "you may not feel culturally comfortable," "you'll get too bored," "you're too qualified and experienced."  These types of reasons as to why three elders could not get a job was shown in one of the videos.  When interviewed for the job these were the answers the employers gave to them because they were not going to give them the job.  Too qualified? How is someone too qualified for a job?  If anything that should be more of the reason to higher them because they have the knowledge needed and may be able to pass it onto others.  This particular "ism" seems to not be talked about much in society because I'm not sure many people really know that it goes on.  Mostly the employers and the persons applying for the job I would say are the only ones really involved.  Sadly I know this is an "ism" that I tend to forget about.  However, I don't feel that I am an ageist myself.  I feel that children should not have to experience the hardships of the working field until they and their parents feel they are mature enough.  I do think though that maybe they should experience the teaching I did at a younger age, until they are at the suitable age to get a real job.  I don't think the elderly should be discriminated against if they want to get a job.  Nowadays people are having to work longer in life to save more money for retirement.  So to deprive them of trying to make money to survive the last years of their life is wrong.  My neighbor across the street is 88 years old and that man seems to have more energy than I do on most days.  He is always outside mowing, cleaning the yard, shoveling the driveway, bringing in wood, fixing this fixing that, and so on.  He does that because he wants to and he still has the energy to.  Also because he is a stubborn old man and won't stop even when we try to help, but that's beside the point.  They want to feel wanted and helpful.  So why aren't we letting them?

1 comment:

  1. Ironically enough even people from the age of 25-55 struggle with society's expectations. There are many named we can call it, but, when it comes down to it, we all have a vision of what we are supposed to be and that no body can perfectly meantain.

    ReplyDelete