Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blog Post #12 Question L Response


Personally I found this video very inspirational.  The performance they put together was wonderful and using dancing to portray their message was very artistic and creative.  I thought it was really magical to see the way they used their bodies to express how they felt.  I think this piece addresses issues of ableism because it might have been something outside of what is usually shown with dancing.  Several dancing programs require their dancers to be thin, flexible, and almost perfect.  These dancers in this video proved that you can do it with all body styles and feel confident while doing it.  I feel performances such as these should be shown more.  They’re addressing the issues of disability in a positive progressive manner showing that you don’t have to be “perfect” to express yourself and feel noticed.  I think if there are more performances such as these available (not sure how available they are this is the first I’ve seen) it could possibly give everyone a different look on who these people really are.  I’m proud of them for showing their true colors and being able to express themselves in such a beautiful and motivational manner.  It’s sad that these individuals are discriminated on for being humans.  Just because they may not have a leg, or an arm, or maybe a few fingers, does not mean they’re that much different from the rest of us.  They are still human beings and do in fact have feelings. 
                Susan Wendell brought up a good point in her article on The Social Construction of Disability.  She explained that some of these individuals may have gotten their disability from being involved in invasions, wars, and terrorism.  This is an area I guess I never really thought of.  How do people discriminate against someone that may have fought at one time for this country and lost an arm for it?  I think that is just horrible.  What a way to say thank you for all that they’ve done for the country.  Another example that she provided was in regards to the architectural setup of many organizations and institutions in society.  Many places don’t have adequate ramps for wheelchair access, or they have lack of handicap parking spaces.  I’ve also witnessed times where someone with no disability at all, took a handicap parking space for themselves because they wanted to run inside to the store real quick.  You have two legs, walk from a parking space further away.  What kind of message is that showing?  Obviously those individuals who partake in actions such as that take advantage of what they are given.  I think this is another “ism” that may be forgotten about and needs to be brought up more in education.  This video and article definitely opened my eyes and I support all those with disabilities and hope that they realize there are good people out there that do care.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I don't think too many people really think of this "ism". I know I really never to (if I have to be honest....haha). I never really notice if there is a wheelchair ramp to a building or anything. I guess that's because I don't have to use one so I kind of forget that others do. Hopefully I will start noticing more things even if I am not directly affected by them nowadays :)

    ReplyDelete