Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blog Post #8 Question H Response


In relation to the two articles on Christian Privilege, my religious identity is that of a Christian.  I myself don’t experience oppression as a Christian but I guess you could say that I experience privilege.  According to Lewis Schlosser I do have the privilege of no work or school on religious holidays, I am allowed to by the foods that fall within my religious group, I am never asked to speak for all the people in my group, and so on.  My family personally doesn’t attend church on a regular basis so sometimes I do work on Sunday (holy day).  At times I guess you could say I don’t fill up to the full duties of a Christian. 
                From Warren Blumenfeld’s article on Christian Privilege, I really enjoyed the fact that he explained many terms that go along with the Christian religion.  For example powerless, which states that some groups have less social power than members of dominant groups.  Being a Christian I’m not sure that I really experience a form a powerless.  The next is marginalization which may be known as the “face” of oppression whereby categories of people, are restricted from meaningful involvement in the social life of the community and nation.  There hasn’t been a point in my life where I have been restricted from meaningful involvement in the community I reside in.  However, some others of the Christian religion may experience this and I don’t think that is fair.  In America we are granted the right to free religion.  It’s sad that oppression goes even further to destruct someone’s religious beliefs.

8 comments:

  1. It's really interesting to see how you responded to hearing about Christian privilege. You are very luck to not have oppression because of your religion, as even though America is a free country, many people face that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Ruth

    I think that the American nation creates a story around the idea of being a "free" country. Even though our laws are for the idea, it is a more challenging task to get the people of the nation to act a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that I"m not always a practicing Christian, but I still get most of the privileges of the Christian faith, not including my privilege for being a white male. I really am so lucky to be part of the Christian faith, and it's sad that I have to be "lucky" to be happy. We should all be happy with our religion and that's where the destruction of the faith comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made a lot of interesting points. I agree, in America we should be granted the right to freedom of religion. It's unfortunate that other religions have to put up a fight for their beliefs. When I read about that elementary school student in Iowa who was primarily denied permission to attend the school library or her classroom during lunch hours for the month of Ramadan because she was to fast from sunrise to sunset because of school policy, I reflected upon how unfortunate our cultural challenges really are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is definitely a privilege to enjoy holidays on holy days and festivals. I remember how bad i was feeling giving an exam on the day of a festival where all family and friends come together to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about the powerlessness point you made. As a Christian I too do not believe Christians experience powelessness. What is interesting is that, even though friends I have are not Christian, no one has ever truly pointed out religious issues to me. Of course I have seen it in a worldview, wars are waged because of it. Yet, the media usually shows these groups as radicals so it is easier to just ignore it because we see extreme Christians too and many know it is dangerous also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its nice to enjoy our holidays and what not but I hope that in the future this country stands for the freedom that we preach about and other religions get their holidays off as well. Everyone should be exposed to other peoples religions I think so that they can truly appreciate what other people go through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. To Ruth and Joanielee, I agree that this country absolutely advertises equality, freedom among other things. I guess those are up to the people of the country, but it is very difficult for some to accept what is unknown or different from what they are used to unfortunately. I hate that people in this country that is meant to be a "melting pot" of cultures feel they need to hide aspects of their lives to be accepted.

    ReplyDelete